Enjoy This Complimentary Guided Meditation…
Tips For Meditation
- Let go of expectation! Each meditation experience will be different. There is no such thing as a bad meditation. Even if your meditation is filled with chatter you still benefit from it.
- Never be concerned about clearing your mind. Learning to “not be” distracted by mind chatter during meditation is good practice for daily life where we are learning to listen to our wisdom and not get side tracked by ours or other people’s negative emotions or thoughts.
- Sit comfortably, keep your back straight but not stiff.
- Have your feet flat on the floor or if it’s comfortable sit cross legged.
- Put a little smile on your face, first because meditation is a fun, delicious experience and second it’ll relax your jaw and face muscles.
- Rest your hands on your lap, palms facing up or down whichever you prefer.
- Innocently, begin to observe your breath following it as it moves in and out of your body.
- If it appeals to you to work with a mantra each time you inhale silently, softly, repeat the word “expand” and each time you exhale repeat the words “let go”. I prefer using the “so hum” mantra which is simply the sound of breath. Because it has no meaning it doesn’t keep our mind engaged. Each time you inhale silently repeat “so” and on the exhale “hum”.
- When your mind drifts to thoughts, emotions or noises in the environment gently bring it back to your breath or mantra.
As a baby
I saw my reflection in a mirror
delighted I thought “that is me”
And became myself
As a young woman
I saw my reflection in the eyes of a lover
perplexed I thought “that is me”
and became myself
As I was sitting in silence
I saw my reflection in all of creation
ecstatically I thought
“that is me”
and became myself.
© Catherine Potter
This is how easy it is to meditate.
Continue to make meditation a part of your daily routine and you will notice the results in your life. The benefits are many, improved health, less stress, you’ll become more relaxed, perceptive and creative.
The best thing of all about meditation is it allows you to experience the most unbounded, expanded part of yourself.
In those moments when you get beneath the mind chatter and merge with yourself you will experience your peacefulness, strength, clarity, love, radiance. Once you realize that is who you are you begin to be it in the world.